Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default how long will old boiler last?

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 14:26:46 -0400, Tom wrote:

Here's my question stated simply:
How long do boilers generally last? I'm trying to determine if the one in my
home will last through this coming heating season. Is there any way to check
besides looking for leaks?

No way to check unless you're a chimney shaker.
If you are you, see how hard it is to drill a hole in it.
Not something I'd worry about.
Worse thing that can happen is you have to buy a kerosene heater or 2
until you get a new one in.

Hot water boilers last a looong time.
My ma replaced one because she went from coal to oil.
It was maybe 50 years old.
I replaced that one for her when it was 20 years old to go to NG.

The one in my old house is still working and is probably 60 years old.
If the water is dosed with a rust inhibitor and the fire sides
are cleaned once in a while cast iron lasts a long time.

The water heater part I don't know about.
And I'm assuming you're talking about a boiler with cast iron water
jacket, which is the only kind I've had.

Hot water boilers are normally replaced to put something more
efficient in, not because they leak.

--Vic