Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Do low-speed fans on new warm air oil furnaces run all the time?

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 13:48:20 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 08:22:54 -0500, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 10/17/2010 7:51 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
wrote in message

Do low-speed fans on new warm air oil furnaces run all the time?

Furnace fans are commonly controlled by thermostat switches
with three settings:
Off = fan never runs
On = fan runs always
Automatic = fan runs when required by the heating unit.

Newer stuff with DC drive motors for the air handler may run at a
very low speed continuously to even out the temperature of the home.
The first HVAC system I came across with this feature had me thinking
there was something wrong until I called the supplier and was assured
it was a normal operating mode.

After you knew it wasn't broken, did you like it? Right now, I like
the total quiet that occurs at least when the furnace isn't running.
Part of the year that's 80 or 90 percent of the time.

The best bet is to call the manufacturer
and find out if the continuous low speed is a feature of your new gear.

TDD

It is an available setting on virtually all currently available forced
air furnaces - and ALL DC variable speed systems.

When you say "available" do you mean I could turn it off if I want to?

I don't have that now, and I've never felt the need to have the
temperature evened out.

Do you mind the fan going all the time?