Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Back boiler: friend or foe?

Another John wrote:
Howdy all

We have a back boiler installed behind our (60s) fireplace. However
our hot water comes from the gas CH system, which heats the water
just once a day for a couple of hours.

We hardly ever use the fire except in the depths of winter. (We _do_
enjoy it immensely, so we wouldn't consider _not_ having any fire at
all.)

I always used to think: back-boiler: bonus! Free hot water!

However recently a different thought occurred to me:
if the CH is providing a cistern full of hot water...
but the back boiler system is full of cold water ...
is it not going to slowly circulate the hot water down, by gravity,
through the back boiler, then back up to the hot water cistern ...
and slowly cool that expensive hot water?

I've a mind to take out the back boiler, in the hopes that our hot
water supply will stay hotter longer. (BTW there's only two of us in
the house now, and we don't have baths (we have showers instead!).)

I've been thinking about a wood stove for many a year, so now may be a
good time to do it. Yes, I am aware you can get stoves with back
boilers, but for the reason described above, I wouldn't fancy one.

Can anyone dispel my ignorance in this area?

Heat has a tendency to rise, so it's unlikely that hot water will 'fall'
down the pipes into the cold back boiler

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008