Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Cheap Linear Bearing Solution

On Sep 28, 5:30*pm, GarageWoodworks
wrote:
I'm still struggling with my X,Y tables for my H-mortiser. *I've tried
full extension drawer guides and they had way too much vertical
slop. * I also looked at under-mount slides today at Woodcraft and
they too had too much slop.

I am thinking about using 4 steel rods (2 per axis) and using guide
bushings. *Four bushings total inserted into two separate equal
lengths of wood. *The wood would support the table (two per axis).
If I lube the crap out of the steel rod do you think this would work?

I have tried similar approaches and found it less than ideal.
Mind you, you are not looking for a lot of travel so you might be able
to bang the stuff around so it will work for a bit...but linear
bearings are a breed on their own. The bushings have the wrong aspect
ratio to the rods, even when using two. The slightest bit of skew and
you jam.... and you just need one of them to do that by a couple of
thou.

I quite like Mike's idea.