Posted to uk.d-i-y
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default Removing stains on an acrylic bath?

"Matty F" wrote in message
On Sep 25, 6:21 am, "Spamlet" wrote:
"Matty F" wrote in message

On Sep 24, 11:18 pm, ".newman" wrote:
My champagne coloured acrylic bath has a couple of dark stains,
probably
caused by hair dye. I have tried bleach and other household cleaners
without success. Anything else I could try?

I polish my acrylic handbasin and shower base with Brasso.
But you'd better wait for more comments in case there's a better way.

Interesting technique to have discovered, Matty.

I seem to recall 'making' 'brasso' with just cotton wool damped in white
spirit with a dash of ammonia. I'd have thought you'd typically need
something acidic on those items - unless you are in a soft water area I
suppose, but if there is a little mild 'grinding paste' in the real
Brasso
as well, that might explain it.

I used to make patterns out of Perspex. I would make the desired shape
by gluing pieces of perspex together, and machine and sand into shape.
Then I would polish with Brasso to get a high gloss and pour two-part
moulding rubber over the pattern. I could then cast epoxy in the mould
and got a very polished finish.
So, I assume Perspex is the same as acrylic.
What I do know is that if you polish an acylic shower base with
Brasso, it will resist dirt for a long time.

Hmm,
Wonder if it's worth trying to polish my ancient plastic spectacle lenses
with it...

Cheers,