Posted to uk.d-i-y
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Best wood primer of old, unpainted dried out external wooden window sills?

The Natural Philosopher wrote in
:

2 part wood hardener. Having tried all sorts over the years, that's a
very strong opinion :-)

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/63540/...-Rot-Wood-Hard
ener-500ml

If the paint is off and you're seeing that grey look, it's the
perfect opportunity, and you'll probably never have to paint again.
The wood doesn't have to be "rotten" to benefit. I've even used it on
brand new wood.

Good idea. I used this sort of product once on rotting wood, and it
really turns the surface into a wood/resin composite and totally
stabilises it.

After that any sort of grain filling primer for outdoor use will be
fine.

Thanks to all, for the advice thus far. Yes indeed, the woodwork has gone
grey, and the grain is also standing out, almost as if it has been sand-
blasted. So I will take the advice, and try the said product. Thanks.

Al