Posted to uk.d-i-y
AL_n AL_n is offline

Default Best wood primer of old, unpainted dried out external wooden window sills?

Some of the windows in the South side of my house have wooden frames and
sills, and on the outside of the house, most of the paint has flaked off,
leaving bare wood that is severely sun-baked and weather-beaten, yet
thankfully, with almost no rot. I have recently bought this house and I now
want to paint the external side of these frames to prolong their life as
much as possible. What is a good primer to use? What soaks into dry wood
well, and stays put, even over the duration of a long hot summer or three?

I'm under the impression that aluminium primer is good. I guess it must
soak into dry wood well, because it is very runny, compared to other wood
primers, some of which have the consistency of cheese spread! It seems to
cost more than other primers, which also suggests to me that it might be
particularly good for some applications.

Anyone got any strong opinions on this?

Al.