Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default How to clean out compressor tank

mike wrote the following:
DanG wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it one way or the other. If you are super
worried, remove the automatic bleeder on the bottom of the tank and
install a ball valve or similar. Pressure the tank until the
regulator on the compressor is happy. Close off the compressor. Open
that bottom ball valve and blow down. If you are worried about mold,
mildew, unknown bugs, etc., make up some bleach water - about 5 water
to 1 bleach, empty the tank, pour in a gallon of the mixture, shake
vigorously (yes, I'm kidding), and pressurize and blow down.

I can't imagine anything in the tank being unsafe. You will be
compressing your own "dirty air", I doubt that the steel tank is
holding much in the way of residual nasties.

I suppose NONE of you guys ever used a device for other than
its intended use.
Just cause it says it's an air tank has no bearing on what
might have been stored in it. And the external environment
matters. Maybe it was used at a nuclear waste recovery facility.
Or an anthrax decontamination project.

No, they wouldn't do......
cough! cough! yack! yack! ... that.

I've got milk jugs full of used oil. Would you buy a used
milk carton and put milk in it? What I told you about it
is irrelevant. People LIE!!!

Use your head.
NEVER assume anything...especially if it's on ebay.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY