Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill Gill Bill Gill is offline

Default Old antenna for new tv

On 9/1/2010 10:05 PM, Jdog wrote:
I have an old antenna in the attic. When i moved into my house i
hooked it up to the tv. It works ok. Some channels dont come in
perfect some of the time. I've tried adjusting it w/ no luck. I see
these new style antennas for sale on line.
http://www.antennahub.com/highgainou...-preorder.aspx

Are they better then the old style?
Has anyone tried both?

It all depends on your situation. If that one is expensive
it probably isn't worth it. I have 2 antennas in the attic.
I have a largish yagi that pulls in the main local channels
just great. They are all in about the same direction. But
it does a poor job on channels to the side. So I made up one
with a folded dipole vhf antenna and a bowtie uhf antenna.
I mounted them in the attic with the folded dipole pointed
at the main stations and the bowtie pointed at 90 degrees,
so it could pick up the college station at Claremore. That is
about 35 miles away, and it comes in fine. I do get an
occasional drop out, which I suspect is a plane flying
through the pattern. The folded dipole pointed at the
major channels gets a good signal, but has more drop outs.
I suspect that is because the signal path is right over
a busy freeway, and trucks stick up high enough to
cause reflections. You may have some or all of these
conditions.

I have cable so I didn't really need these, but I wanted
to be able to get the signal off the air for bad times when
the cable might be down (bad weather and such). Then I
wanted the Claremore station because at the time they were
showing Classic Arts Showcase 24 hours a day on the sub
channel.

Bill