Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Scrap Tungsten Prices?

On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 20:53:01 -0400, Joe wrote:

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 20:02:38 -0500, Ignoramus20906
wrote:

Be careful of scrap metal gypsies (they look like East indians from
India and sometimes speak with a slight funny accent). They know how
to screw people like you. Call a few scrap places. I would think that
you can get $10/lb. I can give you $5/lb if you arew local to Chicago.

Funny you mentioned that - the last time I sold any, the dealer was a
gypsy (he used the term "Roma"). I'm sure I got taken, but I did get
$5.25/lb. Probably about 5 years ago.

Try these folks:
http://www.carbide-recycling.com/

They've treated me well selling carbide scrap. I asked them at one
time about tungsten metal and they said they will buy it. My
recollection is that they like to do some sort of assay on the
material and I didn't have enough to make it worthwhile.

Current price on tungsten carbide scrap is $9/lb. I expect tungsten
metal is considerably more.

--
Ned Simmons