Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cncmillgil cncmillgil is offline

Default Craigslist - South Bend Lathe 9 - $895 (Belleview)

On Aug 29, 4:04*am, "Uffe Bærentsen"
wrote:
"cncmillgil" skrev i en ...
On Aug 28, 9:05 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

http://ocala.craigslist.org/tls/1922861701.html

enough left over to pay them.

South Bend lathe! I think I read that book in HS. "How to run a
lathe".......... come to think of it they had S.Bends in HS machine
shop.
Nice American made machines at one time, although I'm partial *to
good'ol Logans *with quick change gear box's & a taper attachment.
later on *Sheldons-

South Bend 9" or Logan 9", what is the difference given that they have the
same features?

Ya they are both manual engine lathes- same features

And Sheldon looks just like another South Bend clone.

not really using, & just looking at each of the specific models they
all look like clones of each other.
But, when it comes to doing/operation ergonomics(if that exsited then)
I like the Logan- Slightly less heavy duty but very versital with the
quick change gear box(threading & different feed selection.
Flip a lever - cross slide nut disengages for free movement - set bar
& lock cross slide to it & wahla!
I sure all the old lathes had those attachments, but around chi-town
where Logans were made- a bit more popular & common with all those
features- Almost a gaint Jewelers lathe IMHO. A "toolroom" lathe.
The S/B's were bigger production kinda clumsy work horses. Once set
up with proper gearing PITA opening up the case & matching the gears -
you'd go to town.

Now we have MoriSeki's (the Cadillac) with live tooling for light duty
side drilling/milling - subspinde(tailstock) - of corse hyd foot
operated chucks & tailstocks
They are like giant Swiss machines. saweeet let me tell you. But for
500k (tooled) they better be.

But that's just my opinion :-)

Oh by the way I
--
Uffe Bærentsen do have a SB 9" in my shop :-)

--
!g!