Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Radiant heating (boiler) vs. Forced air

On Aug 24, 7:03*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
The advantages to a forced air system include:
* Air filtration. Helps reduce dust, dirt, and other harmful things in
the air.
* Forced air system can have a humidifier to keep the air comfortable
in the winter.
* Most heat boilers run 70 to 80% fuel efficient. Forced air system,
you can get a furnace with 90% plus efficiency

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"SBH" wrote in message

I currently have radiant heating in our home and have been quoting
prices for a separate AC unit (space pack) installed. At the recent
received quotes of $6000 to $8000, it got me thinking about the cost
of removing the boiler system and installing a forced air system
(furnace). The boiler removal can be done my me as well as the
installation of duct work for the forced air. Since the cost of adding
an AC unit to a furnace system is roughly $1000, That would leave
roughly $5000 to $7000 difference for the installation of the rest of
the furnace system and I can't believe it would cost that
much....or....am I wrong?

What would the pros and cons be of each?

Thanks

I dont know of any boiler sold under 83% and they go to 98%, a boiler
needs only a 100-150w pump, a newer high efficency furnace at my small
place uses a 375w blower, Electricity is expensive and a often
overlooked component of heating. But radiant tube underfloor is the
most efficent heat, its under your feet. Common is a 15% reduction in
bills over wall radiators and you can keep the thermostat lower. Also
take into account ductwork air leaks and loss of heat from ducts as
they run, so add another loss compared to underfloor tube. But why
spend thousands if its there and already the best type of heat. Ive
had all types of heat and underfloor radiant was the most comfortable,
warm feet, heat where you are especialy sitting and sleeping. Humidity
control is a benefit to ducts boilers dont do.