Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Radiant heating (boiler) vs. Forced air

On Aug 23, 5:40*pm, "SBH" wrote:
I currently have radiant heating in our home and have been quoting prices for a separate AC unit (space pack) installed. At the recent received quotes of $6000 to $8000, it got me thinking about the cost of removing the boiler system and installing a forced air system (furnace). The boiler removal can be done my me as well as the installation of duct work for the forced air. Since the cost of adding an AC unit to a furnace system is roughly $1000, That would leave roughly $5000 to $7000 difference for the installation of the rest of the furnace system and I can't believe it would cost that much....or....am I wrong?

What would the pros and cons be of each?

Thanks

Do you mean under floor radiant heat or cast iron upright radiators or
baseboard radiators. My experiance with different types is underfloor
radiant is best by far, then radiators on walls, then forced air. Why
are you condsidering space pack if you can run regular ducts, Spack
pack is something like 1000$ for 100ft of tube. Spacepack costs alot
more to install and as of last year Spacepack was about only 11 seer,
I contacted Spacepack or Unico last fall for info on upgrading our
1996 spacepack air handler. The said this year they would have a seer
13 out, but ducts can use much more efficent equipment, up to near 19
seer.