Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default Oscillating fan repair

On Aug 22, 10:06*pm, "PE" wrote:
Apologies if this is re-post. *I seem to be having difficulty transmitting
today.

I have an oscillating table fan that recently stopped working. *I'll
probably just buy an new one, but wondered if anyone here might have any
useful suggestions. *The fan's performance didn't degrade over time; it was
working properly and then suddenly it just wouldn't turn on. *I've tested
the 4 way switch (Off-1-2-3) and it's working properly. *And when the
control is switched to any of of the "on" settings, the motor doesn't even
make a humming sound and rotation can't be started by giving the fan blades
a shove, so I assume the problem is not with the motor starting capacitor..
The shaft can be turned freely by hand and there don't seem to be any broken
or disconnected wires. *Are there any other "usual causes" of this type
problem that should be investigated before I throw this thing away? *Thanks
for your replies!

The most likely thing and easiest to check is a break in the cord.
Switch the fan on and bend the cord about, the fan may start
momentariy. The most likely place isnear the ends of the cord.