Posted to alt.home.repair
infiniteMPG infiniteMPG is offline

Default Repair/Rebuild Tile Shower Stall --- HELP?

Found an odd situation as I was tearing up the wall tile, seems
there's 1/2" to 3/4" gap between the floor/base tile and the wall tile/
concrete board, and I can dig down about 1" below the floor tile and
it appears to be sand or leveling mud or something. It's quite damp,
too. Appears that they didn't put a shower pan or liner around the
base/floor of the shower before they built this shower.

So here's my plan, using floor leveler and level out the grout lines
of the floor tile. Use concrete to fill this gap around the edges of
the floor tile. Rip out all the wall concrete board/sheet rock.
Replace all the sheet rock with new concrete board, then find a way to
seal around the floor and part way up the walls, then re-tile
everything. This would require extending the drain up slightly. Not
planning on removing the existing tile.

Any ideas of sealing before tiling?