Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oscillating fan repair

On 8/22/2010 2:06 PM PE spake thus:

I have an oscillating table fan that recently stopped working. I'll
probably just buy an new one, but wondered if anyone here might have any
useful suggestions. The fan's performance didn't degrade over time; it was
working properly and then suddenly it just wouldn't turn on. I've tested
the 4 way switch (Off-1-2-3) and it's working properly. And when the
control is switched to any of of the "on" settings, the motor doesn't even
make a humming sound and rotation can't be started by giving the fan blades
a shove, so I assume the problem is not with the motor starting capacitor.

On these types of fans, with really small fractional-horsepower motors,
there's no starting capacitor.

The shaft can be turned freely by hand and there don't seem to be any broken
or disconnected wires. Are there any other "usual causes" of this type
problem that should be investigated before I throw this thing away? Thanks
for your replies!

Since no humming sound, it must be a broken wire/connection somewhere.
I'd just start taking it apart and looking at wiring. If you can get the
motor apart (sometimes they're made in two halves that mate), you may be
able to find an open connection somewhere. Probably worth 10-20 minutes
of rooting around in it.

Could even be a broken connection inside the plug, or in the cord
somewhere. Check it for obvious breaks or other damage.