Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default Repair/Rebuild Tile Shower Stall --- HELP?

On 8/22/2010 5:02 PM, infiniteMPG wrote:
We have a 32" X 60" shower stall in our 1981 build Florida home.
There have been a couple issues with a leak below the valve and some
leaks in the tile edges so time has come to rebuild this beast.
Started tearing the tile off the walls and planning on taking out all
the wall tile and the sheet rock on the walls and replacing with
cement board and new tile. The tile on the floor is, well, 1" square
off white ugly tile. It's not cracked or chipped, just ugly.

So the question is, can we tile new floor tile directly over the
existing floor tile without tearing up the existing floor tile? We
feel that if we tear the floor tile up we're going to be facing the
major job of completely rebuilding the floor base, sloped and
everything. The current shower floor is already several inches below
the room floor so there wouldn't be any issue with the floor being
above the room floor or anything like that. We're going to have to
rebuild the ledge as it was concrete or something and the tile on it
was concreted directly to it (tearing the ledge tile up is tearing up
the ledge).

Any hints or suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

My son's torn his shower out to rebuild himself.
Says he can order a custom built floor to fit in his pan.
Think the floor is molded although he will tile walls.