Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default duct taping exhaust pipes

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:50:36 -0500, AZ Nomad
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:40:11 -0400, mm wrote:
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:58:37 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 01:12:13 -0400, mm
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 19:36:14 -0600, Uno wrote:

I just was cleaning my water heater and see the exhaust pipe on it has
come loose in the middle. Can I just duct tape it for now and not
expect it to melt?

I don't know what you can and can't expect, but I would expect it to
melt.

Use foil tape meant for that purpose.

AKA "Duct tape" - not "duck tape" which is what the cloth stuff is
ACTUALLY - originally made of "cotton duck" - a type of cloth

Others said what I just did more strongly, so let me put it another
way.

You're thinking of the difference between duct tape and duct tape, a
worthwhile distinction, but neither of them is the tape for exhaust
pipes. That is metal foil tape.

The foil made for exhaust pipes doesn't work worth a damn. The
flexing caused by the pressure waves of the exhaust quickly cause the
tape to fatigue and rip. I've never heard of such a patch lasting a
whole month.

Well now you have. Mine was put on in November I think and lasted
a whole winter. It weet on an oil furnace just two inches from the
flue collector, the steel part screwed to the furnace immediately past
the heat eachanger, so it gets hot.

Another piece was went about 8 inches up from there and 3 inches over,
out of the hot air flow but I'm sure it got hot. It was wrapped
around the damper (that's hinged and has an adjustable weight) by some
furnace guy and was there for a few years when another furnace guy
took it off.