Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default duct taping exhaust pipes

Bob F wrote the following:
wrote:

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 07:09:52 -0230, "don &/or Lucille"
wrote:

I'd use the real aluminum tape not the mylar type stuff. 3M makes
good one expensive but you get what you pay for in this case, have
used both at work and now wouldn't use anything but the real McCoy

It's not as expensive as replacing his home after the duct tape
ignites and burns his house down.
Duct tape is made for ducts (warm forced air), not HOT exhaust pipes.

In reality, most "duct tape" is not approved for ducts. It just doesn't last.

For general use, I use the clear type (3M and others). I have used some
of it outside and it has been there for years, Summer and Winter,
without deterioration.
Forget the silver grey type. It just delaminates over time and the
remaining glue is almost impossible to remove cleanly.