Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete Zahut[_3_] Pete Zahut[_3_] is offline

Default Porous brickwork and treatment

PeterC wrote:
Last Autumn there was a mention in a thread about 1950's brickwork
being porous.
About that time I had to drill a couple of holes in the gable wall -
it faces SW - and the debris was like a crumbly paste rather than
dust for about 15 - 20mm in.
The bricks are heavily patterned - a vertical herringbone groove -
which I think are Rustic(?) from c. 1950.

Is it worth treating the wall and, if so, what sort of gunk to put on
it?

There are 2 possibilities on this page

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/products/...e-Treatments/1

although the solvent-based one looks a bit nasty!

Any suggestions please?

Liquid Plastics K501 is the dogs danglies