Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default Replacing the bearings on a front-loading washer

On 08/10/10 07:50 pm, Wayne Whitney wrote:

Ours is maybe 9 years old and is getting noisy too. Where did you
find the bearings and seal? What are the part numbers? -- just in
case ours are the same.

I was able to find online the service manual for my machine, it helped
with tearing down the machine. The job was a very involved, several
hour affair. For replacing the bearings (instead of the whole rear
tub half), the best resource was this long thread:

http://www.applianceblog.com/mainforums/washers/237-fixed-drum-gasket-rear-shell-bearings.html.

As for the parts for this class of machine, they are a 6306RS2
bearing, a 6307RS2 bearing, and a 40x80x10 double lip metric seal. I
ended up getting mine from bearingsdirect.com (no affiliation).
You'll also need a replacement tub seal since you have to split the
wash tub halves. Plus the materials I asked about in my OP.

I got the bearings today and the rear tub half is now reassembled. It
spins quietly, yay! Now I'm just waiting for the tub seal and bottom
supports (shocks), then I can reassemble the machine and see if it
still works. :-)

Thanks for that, Wayne.

What was wrong with the shocks that they needed replacing too?

BTW, when we had the control module replaced under warranty, the service
guy said that replacing the tub is a two-person job costing almost as
much as a new washer. I hope that I can manage the job on my own -- as
you did -- but I'll need help to get the dryer down from on top and put
it back.

Perce