Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Whitney Wayne Whitney is offline

Default Replacing the bearings on a front-loading washer

Hello,

My 6 year old Kenmore front loading clothes washer was getting louder
during the spin cycle, so I figured the bearings were worn. I tore it
down to remove the two bearings holding the spin basket shaft, and the
forward-most bearing was rough and rusty. Apparently the shaft seal
between the bearings and the wash tub had partially failed, allowing
some water into the bearing. Everything else was in good shape, so I
guess I caught the problem early.

I've ordered replacement bearings and a replacement seal, but I have a
few questions about reassembling the machine:

1) What is the proper grease/lubricant to use in each of the following
places: between the bearings/seal and their metal housings, between
the bearings and the shaft, and most importantly between the shaft and
the seal? I have lithium grease on hand if that would work.

2) What is the proper glue to use for connecting rubber to painted
metal? There is a rubber boot that connects the wash tub to the front
face of the machine for the door to seal against. It was glued to the
front frame in several discrete places around its perimetter, I guess
so you don't dislodge the boot while shoving clothes in the washer. I
need to reglue it.

There's no information in the service manual, since Kenmore sells the
entire rear tub half with the bearings installed as a single unit.
But that is alot more expensive than just replacing the bearings, plus
the OEM bearings were not a very high quality.

Thanks, Wayne