Posted to rec.woodworking
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Can laminated hardboard be used to make zero clearance throat plates for a table saw?

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 00:05:29 -0400, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

Kevin wrote:
On Thu, 5 Aug 2010 13:42:26 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

You guys have been a lot of help.

I'll use MDF with a laminate and I'll secure it to the top.

I would just add that 1/2" MDF will flex too much. I don't know if
the laminate would be enough to strengthen it, probably so. I ended
up gluing some hardwood strips on either side of the blade to stiffen
it up, and made all the ones after that out of plywood that didn't
have that problem.

You really found that 1/2" flexed too much? How wide is your throat - or
how long? I can't imagine a throat that is so big that 1/2" would flex....
but I'be been wrong before... once...

I think it's about 15". Probably about a foot span from the support
ledges. Doesn't take much to flex 1/2" MDF over that and as far as
I'm concerned when it comes to the TS that insert ought not to budge
if I put any reasonable force on it, because when the sh*t hits the
fan why throw one more variable into the equation?

I didn't notice the flex until using my tenoning jig that rides the
fence. I don't bother clamping the stock in place as it takes too
much time when you have a lot of parts to cut, so you have to put some
significant force to keep it from riding up during the cut. But I
wasn't getting consistent cutting depths and that's when I tested out
pushing down on the insert and could see the sucker flex. If all I
ever did was cut sheet goods I'd never notice and it wouldn't be an
issue.

-Kevin