Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Robinson David Robinson is offline

Default Tiles falling off wall, adhesive not setting

On 6 Aug, 13:31, Jim K wrote:
On 6 Aug, 11:42, stuart noble wrote:

FWIW the only problem I've ever had was with a north facing basement
bathroom. No light, no airflow, and tiles floor to ceiling. Those
buggers took over a week to become firm enough to drill into.

As I said, my experience with modern tub adhesive is that it sticks to
any tile and (virtually) any substrate, but you must use a notched
trowel/spreader to get the right depth of adhesive. If you need to pack
them out in places to get them level, they will be the last to firm up.

Just to add I've never had a prob with tub adhesives either yet.

Though not done more than 1/2 a dozen jobs I've never had a prob with
tiles falling off unexpectedly.

Used Wickes ready mix (red and blue flavours) on last two jobs respec.
onto plastered and *bare plasterboard surfaces - no priming, no PVA,
large format 600X400 ceramics on one, 330X250 ceramics on latter -
absolutely no problem 2 years later.....

Thanks. I suspect this would have dried out quickly if the plaster
hadn't been primed.

It does all seem to be firming up now (over a week later), though I
wouldn't dare drill it yet. I used the proper notched trowel. Tiles at
edges of window openings with exposed have dried quickest, despite
exposed edge being packed solid. Windows are open, which probably
helped.

Anyway, I'm carrying on with the mix it yourself stuff. Seems a bit
gritty by the time it's tick enough not to "slump" (as the
instructions suggest). Going to have a google to see what consistency
it's supposed to be!

Cheers,
David.