Posted to alt.home.repair
Ashton Crusher[_2_] Ashton Crusher[_2_] is offline

Default Subzero vs. GE Monogram Freezers and refrigerators

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 21:16:33 -0700, "Nonnymus"
wrote:

Any opinion on which would last longer and do a better job? We looked at
two homes: one had a freestanding Subzero freezer and beside it a separate
Subzero refrigerator. The other had the same thing, but GE Monogram. Both
had an icemaker in the freezer, but both just dumped ice into a drawer.
Why not an in-door ice dispenser like in our plain Jane GE refrigerator side
by side? Do the two premium brands last longer, do a better job, are more
energy efficient or . . . "why" are they considered to be a premium item?

Nonny

My sister has a Subzero. Seems like a piece of junk to me. She's had
to have major compressor repairs done on it twice in 20 years and the
ice maker fixed at least once. I've had plain ole Whirlpools that
never hiccupped in 20 years of service. The "premium" brands don't
put ice makers in the doors because it's considered "low class".