Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default How is my conservatory door fixed in place?

Mr UPVC wrote:
The frame of my conservatory door is not quite square at present, and
the hinges don't offer enough adjustment to compensate. I would like
to lower one corner of the door frame, but I can't figure out how
it's held in place.

I lifted the doors off their hinges, removed the masonry fixings
between the door frame and the dwarf walls, and removed the spacers
between the door sill and the bricks underneath the door. There is
some space between the door sill and the bricks, so it ought to be
possible to lower the door frame, but even when I jumped up and down
on the door frame, it didn't drop at all.
There no other visible fixings in the door frame or the adjacent
window frames that could be holding it in place, so what's supporting
it?
There are some vertical trim strips between the door and window
frames, but I think I'd need to remove part of the roof to slide them
out, so hopefully that won't be necessary.

Here are some pictures:

http://i26.tinypic.com/13zsuap.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/2z50j1v.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/o580b7.jpg

" There no other visible fixings in the door frame or the adjacent window
frames that could be holding it in place"

Just because they aren't visible, doesn't mean they don't exist - it's
likely that the window frames were screwed to the door frame on each side
and also the window above, these fixings will be behind the glass units of
the windows, you may need to remove the units to get these fixings out prior
to any adjustment of the door frames.

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008