Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to cut preformed countertops???

On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:45:57 -0500, "The Post Quartermaster"
wrote the following:

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Here you go: http://www.woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip022500wb.html

On 7/22/2010 3:31 PM, Tim wrote:
I purchased some preformed countertops from Home Depot and would
like
to know the best way to cut them without chipping, They are too
long
to put on the table saw. I need to cut the backsplash and the top.

I just put masking tape on both sides and cut from the back and it
worked out pretty good. Now, do you know how to cut laminate sheets?
That's my next episode.

I masked the laminate, flipped the counter over on a carpeted waste
top, and used a new skilsaw blade to cut it from the back. I learned a
new trick since then: screwing on guides before doing the cut so I
could make that transition twixt the counter & splash perfectly
smoothly. On my last cut, I did it in two runs, splash first, then
counter. It needed only a tiny bit of filing to smooth out and the
iron-on edge fit like a champ.

I think I used the 24T blade vs. the 18 for a smoother edge.

--
It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness;
poverty and wealth have both failed.