Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default septic drain-field caps

On 7/26/2010 3:13 PM, harry wrote:
On Jul 26, 8:24 pm, "Steve wrote:
"Jules wrote in message

Having never owned a septic system prior to our current house... is there
any reason not to recess the drain-field caps so that the tops are level
with the surrounding ground?

The three tank-caps I can always disguise amongst a flower bed or
something so they're still easily accessible for pumping; having to mow
around the seven drain-field caps every week or two too is a pain in the
butt though. I noticed that the neighbours have them trimmed to be flush
with the ground; any reason not to do the same (other than a little
digging needed with a trowel if I do ever need to look at the drain-
field)?

cheers

Jules

I am curious. In my state, Utah, I don't believe that septic drain field
caps are legal. What is the purpose of these caps?

Steve

visit my blog athttp://cabgbypasssurgery.com- Hide quoted text -

All field drains eventually block with sediment. The purpose is to
enable the system to be pressure jetted out if this happens. Doesn't
entirely revive them but puts the fateful and expensive day of
replacement off.

mines over 40 yrs old and still works fine. I do however have the tank
pumped regularly like your supposed to.

--
Steve Barker