Posted to rec.woodworking
DanG DanG is offline

Default replacing lentil

You will get interesting answers here. There are some of us who
are professionals who do this for a living.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanG

"Uno" wrote in message
RicodJour wrote:
On Jul 22, 5:40 pm, Uno wrote:
Judy's lentil is almost nonfunctioning. I see 6 screws going
downward
as I cross the threshold.

These two sentences seem unrelated, yet somehow I feel bad for
Judy.

I was thinking pressure treated is what I would replace it
with. Any
tips on method, before I just get into it?

That's like asking for advice on how to change a tire, and we
don't
know if it's a bicycle or a band saw! Many questions - is the
door
frame metal or wood? Do the jambs sit on the existing
threshold? Is
there rot there now? What's up with the lintel you mentioned?
What's
under the existing threshold? Can you tell if the existing
threshold
is a replacement? Is there currently, or should there be,
weatherstripping at the bottom of the door? Front, back or
garage
door?

If it's wood, and you want to replace it with wood (might not
be the
best choice) I would use some Ipe. Your local lumberyard will
most
likely have it. It's one of those tropical hardwoods that is
hard as
crap, very dense, holds up well outdoors, and isn't half bad
looking.
It's commonly used for decking and left bare.

Ooops. In my defense, it was her word which I then turned into
a bean.

I found a couple online vids for this. I'll consider hardwood
solutions. Thx for all suggestions.

There's a lot of terminology in woodworking. Is there someplace
else in usenet where I could ask a couple questions about steel
and concrete building systems?

--
Uno