Posted to alt.home.repair
Elmo[_6_] Elmo[_6_] is offline

Default Advice for converting Sears Craftsman 220V compressor plug to washing machine plug

On Sun, 25 Jul 2010 01:04:05 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:
Really? Two phase? How old is this gadget, anyway?

You know, I bought it that damn Sears Craftsman compressor on a whim in a
sale in the 80's. It was (on sale), about 350 or 400 bucks.

Then, when I brought the huge thing home, I realized I didn't have an
outlet for it, so I just let it sit for a year or so. Then I moved, and
didn't have an outlet for it, so I let it sit for a few years. Finally I
moved to a place that had the outlet, and I used it every six months or so
to blow up the kids toys. I moved again, and guess what, no outlet.

Funny thing is that I've seen Sears compressors on sale over and over and
over and over again for, guess what, just about 350 or 400 bucks. They
never changed prices in decades. Amazing.

In hind sight, I never should have bought it as I barely used it due to the
cord and the lack of needs.

However, I still have it. And I actually want to blow up a kids toy and
then figured I'd plug the NEMA 6-20P into an adaptor consisting of a NEMA
6-20R and a NEMA10-30P and then connect to the NEMA10-30R fused by a 30-amp
circuit for my 20-amp compressor.

I was just asking advice, specifically:
a) How do I know that I'm NOT on a sub panel?
b) Did I pick the correct ground/neutral?

Is there anything else I didn't think of (before I plug it in)?