Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_3_] RBM[_3_] is offline

Default Advice for converting Sears Craftsman 220V compressor plug to washing machine plug

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Elmo wrote:
I just want advice for the conversion I just did before I plug it all
in.

Details:
1. I have a two-phase 220V Sears Craftsman compressor which uses a
220 volt plug with one blade sideways (otherwise it looks like a
normal 120V grounded plug).

2. I have no sockets in the house which fit that 220 volt plug.

3. I have a three-pronged dryer socket in the garage with 220 volts
(two hots and a neutral).

4. I just attached a new 3-pronged male dryer cord to a female 220
volt plug with the one blade sideways.

Before I plug in the compressor to the recepticle to the dryer cord
to the recepticle, would you have any concerns about safety or other?

Yes. Find out if your compressor expects the third terminal to be a
ground; the third wire on your dryer is likely a neutral. If such is the
case, you will need to install a properly grounded outlet for your
compressor.

The third terminal on a three wire dryer outlet is a neutral/ground, and by
code must original in the main service panel and not a sub panel

As to sharing the receptacle between a dryer and a compressor, I have done
that with a welder, and to be honest, it gets old really fast.
Eventually, you will want to install a dedicated circuit, and the sooner
the better.

Jon