Posted to rec.woodworking

Default replacing lentil

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 15:40:15 -0600, Uno wrote:

Judy's lentil is almost nonfunctioning. I see 6 screws going downward
as I cross the threshold.

I was thinking pressure treated is what I would replace it with. Any
tips on method, before I just get into it?

Lentils are very nourishing, but they make a lousy threshold :-).

Are you talking about the top member (a lintel) or the bottom (a
threshold)?

I wouldn't use pressure treated for a threshold if anyone will be
stepping on it barefoot. OK, that's excessively cautious, but why take
the chance. How about ash or oak? Or even cypress?

For a lintel pressure treated would be OK, but why? Is there a lot of
water draining onto it? If so, a little flashing would solve that
problem. Pressure treated wood is a softwood - I'd still prefer a
hardwood as above.