Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Toilet Flange too high

On Jul 17, 11:22*am, "Walter E." wrote:
Hope this image of the flange will work:

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5062/1000487z.jpg

Walterwww.rationality.net

"Walter E." wrote in message

For some reason, the builder put in the toilet flanges in my 5 bathrooms
so that the top of the flange sticks up 3/4" above the tile floor. The
toilets he put in apparently had a deeper inset and did not rock. As I am
replacing the toilets, I find that new toilets have only a *1/2" recess
around the outlet. This makes the new toilet sit 1/4" above the tile
floor. *(3/4" protruding height less 1/2 " recess). A also need about 1/4'
for the compressed wax ring, leaving me 1/2 " from proper seating of the
toilet.

The sewer outlet pipe is 4" ABS, coming up through the concrete slab. The
ABS flange is glued to the *outside* of this pipe. The flange is not
screwed down, just sitting there.

I propose to cut off the flange/pipe level with the tile floor, using an
angle-grinder. I will then glue an *inside* flange into the 4" pipe. The
new ABS flange is 3/8" thick and will sit directly on the tile floor. I
should gain 3/8" using this approach, which should be enough to seat the
toilet properly.

Does this make sense?

Walter
www.rationality.net- Hide quoted text -

You're the second poster with this problem in the past couple of
weeks. Your idea sounds fine as long as you get a good seal to the
new flange.