Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Painting asbestos soffits

On 17 July, 16:54, "Phil L" wrote:
Keefiedee wrote:
My house was reroofed 40 odd years ago and has asbestos soffits. *They
have been painted with the pink masonry paint as used on the walls.
They have a tendency to flake over time (? masonry paint not
appropriate), but not everywhere.

I am currently painting the fascia, and am wondering whether it would
be better to:

1. Paint with masonry paint again over the existing paint after
scraping off the flaky bits.

2. Paint with masonry paint after sanding off all the old masonry
paint off first (yes, I know, very carefully, with full protection)
and ? using stabilising solution.

3. Paint over the masonry paint with white primer, undercoat and gloss
over the existing masonry paint after scraping off the flaky bits.

4. Paint over the masonry paint with white primer, undercoat and gloss
after sanding off the old masonry paint off first and ? using
stabilising solution.

All thoughts gratefully received.

Keith

Soffits have a tendency to peel no matter which paint you use, although I'm
not sure why as they always seem to me to be the most protected part - they
usually start to peel before the fascias for some reason.....I had a theory
that it could have possibly been the heat radiating out from the walls on
hot days and rising up to the eaves, but having just finished painting a
hipped semi with 3 sides of soffits, 1 North facing, 1 West and 1 South, and
they had all peeled in fairly equal proportions, so that theory has gone out
of the window.

Personally I'd go for undercoat and gloss, and try and do them every 5 years
or so

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008- Hide quoted text -

The raeson it flakes is water vapour penetration from the side you
can't paint. If both sides were painted to problem would be solved.
(Assuming it was dry when you painted) The accumulations of moisture
behind the paint forces it off.
The answer is to paint with one of these vapour micro-porous paints.
If you are bent on scraping it, wear a mask and don't take the
asbestos cement dust in the house. Ideally wear disposable overalls
and head covering.