Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Dropped bricks above window

NT wrote:
On Jul 16, 7:13 pm, "Phil L" wrote:
NT wrote:

Not at all. Such minor structural issues arent hard to fix. However
it sounds like it probably just warrants patching up for now, and
leave it. It then might or might not need a more thorough repair in
another 20 years.

Place timber support under the dropped brickwork, rake out the
cracked joints and remortar them. Don't rake out lots at once as
you don't want to destabilise it all, rake & remortar it part by
part.

The problem with this theory is that when cracks have appeared (as
in this case) and the bricks have already dropped a few mm (as in
this case) when the frame is removed, the brickwork above falls down

First its not a theory. Second why do you think bricks mortared in
place would fall down? The added support is only needed while mortar
is cut out in the damaged area.

Bricks have a tendency not to float in mid-air, hence the requirement of
lintels.
It's fine as it is with a frame in place, and I suppose it could be
strengthened up by some fairly strong patch pointing, with the frame still
in place, but removing the frame now would cause the brickwork to land on
the floor

A permanent fix would require a support fitting under the dropped
brickwork, either a lintel or a sufficiently strong window frame to
support it.

A lintel is required, and it's probably safe to say that there are
none in the house at all, so really, they could al do with being
installed, this requires cutting out brickwork to the sides of the
openings, thus making the patch of dropped brickwork even bigger

nonsense, there are masses of houses with no lintels. There's no
reason to do work that doesnt need doing.

I know, which is why I typed:

"then just leave it as it is, other than that it means
removing each window frame, at least all the downstairs ones, installing
lintels and then putting the frames back in, if they fit.

The bricks are supported, they're supported by the frame, and the frames
will contain metal, I wouldn't ponder too long on this otherwise you may
require another mortgage"

With no picture though theres always the possibility of this being
off, as I was remined on the last thread

Nah, he's got no lintels, his house is a lintel-free zone, he owns
as many lintels as my dog, IE none :-p

Probably so, so what.

So nothing, you said you may be mistaken and I said you weren't, he has no
lintels, and my advice is to do nothing unless problems start to arise like
buckled window frames, cracked units etc

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008