Posted to uk.d-i-y
js.b1 js.b1 is offline

Default RCD test button not tripping the RCD.

Do test RCD (or RCBO often).

I nearly got caught out in April 2009 when I cut through an outdoor
cable.
My spine is usually rough (left front quadrant spinal muscle is
essentially missing on an MR scan) so I will drop anything if I sense
problems. On that day I did drop some aluminium, severing a cable, the
RCBO did not trip. I only knew because the cable steamed the puddle I
was standing in. The RCBO would not trip by test button, it had been
tested one year before and all figures were exactly in line with
others & expectations).

Aside - having seen similar RCBO failures, they all ran signficantly
warmer to those nearby. To the extent that a palm run along the top of
the RCBO body (CU lid on) was "point hot". Terminal tightness was not
an issue, nor load (unloaded).