Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
JB[_8_] JB[_8_] is offline

Default Building Steps on dirt slope/ questions

On 7/8/2010 7:53 PM, James wrote:
I plan to build some steps into a sloped hill, using timbers. I had some
built about ten years ago, and used PT lumber rated for ground contact,
which was .8 penetration level.

Thanks for any advice on these many questions !!

James

James,

Have you thought about using those stackable, mortarless, retaining wall
blocks instead of the landscaping timbers? They'll last a lifetime and
are just as easy to install as landscape timbers/railroad ties. I find
myself having to re-do all of my timber projects after about 10 - 15
years because of failure of some type rot, insects, etc.

The blocks are made in a variety of sizes. You'll find them in the same
6 inch size as the timbers you're looking at. You can build a wall as
high as 3 feet without having to use a poured foundation.