Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Dryer vent hose is filling up with water!

dpb wrote:

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Mitch Mitch@... wrote:

My wife complained that the dryer has been running for 3 1/2 hours.

I just replaced the vent hose a couple of weeks ago and the dryer has
been working fine.

Now I went down to the basement to see what was going on and the vent
hose is full of water. Gallons.

We're getting ready to put our house on the market, really didn't want
to buy new appliances just to give them away.

Any ideas?

Sure- Re-do your vent hose so it doesn't hold water. Gravity is
your friend.

What's causing the condensation to occur if it really is exhaust
moisture? I'm guessing it's either outside water or another leak
somehow getting in not from the dryer itself; never seen that kind of
water volume in a dry discharge--it's hot and in vapor phase unless
something is going to somehow block air flow and condense it out.

If there really are *gallons*, as the OP says, then the hose has a low
spot- which as soon as it fills becomes a bit of a condenser and
doesn't allow any venting.

If this is a gas dryer the OP is risking CO poisoning. If it is an
electric, then his only fear is burning his house down.

Jim