Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager Bob Eager is offline

Default Two-way and intermediate switches

On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 20:37:40 +0100, John wrote:

I'm no electrician but my mate reckons that you can have as many
intermediate switches as you want on a two-way circuit (think switching
the landing light on downstairs before going to bed but it's a long
landing with six rooms - he wants each room to have its own switch on
the landing).

I reckon that you can have the two two-way switches as normal, with one
intermediate switch. Who's correct - and if he's right, and you can have
more than one intermediate switch, can anyone give a wiring diagram
(preferably not ASCII as I can never make head nor tail of them)?

You can have as many as you like. Think of it like this:

Normal 2 way switch at each end, with 2 wires joining them, yes? (OK,
neutral and CPC as well, but they are the same everywhere)/.

In an intermediate switch, all that happens is that the switch crosses
the two wires over (an 'X' switch).

Think about it. As many of those as you like, each crossing the wires
over again. Operating any of them reverses the wires - and there is light.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org