Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default Wasp's nest in/under window sill - how to remove

"Duncan Di Saudelli" wrote
Hello

Whilst watching the MExicans run rings round the French, I could hear a
"munching" sound from the window. Close inspection identified quite a few
smallish wasps coming and going so I went outside and identified a
structure about the size of a matchbox being assembled underneath the
outside window, underneath (or possibly starting to become inside) the
window sill.

I could pay 40 quid-odd for someone to come and kill them but I would
prefer to use a cheaper/humane method i.e. can I scrape this fledgling
wasp's nest into a bag and take it waway, or can I do something to make
them leave short of trying to smoke them/burn them oout (don't want to
damage the woodwork of course)?

The sound inside the house is quite loud so I am afraid they might eat
their way underneath the sill and end up forming an internal nest around
the aluminium double glazing unit, inside the profile or soem such void.

Thanks for pointers/experience/stories/advice

Sounds like a job for "Wasp Nest Destroyer" to me.
At least that's the stuff I used after the council did half a cock up job of
removing a nest in my loft.
It's a foam sprayed from an aerosol and you should apply this to the
nest/nest opening each night when activity has stopped.
The type I got had a range of about 2m with reasonable accuracy - I was
working off a ladder so didn't want to get too close.
Yes you can leave them, but you may regret it if the nest gets as big as
ours (effectively preventing safe entry to the loft space where I was trying
to install vent fan and ducting).

Phil