Posted to uk.d-i-y
cynic cynic is offline

Default Wasp's nest in/under window sill - how to remove

On 18 June, 09:28, TheOldFellow wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 23:20:42 +0100, Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
Hello

Whilst watching the MExicans run rings round the French, I could hear a
"munching" sound from the window. Close inspection identified quite a
few smallish wasps coming and going so I went outside and identified a
structure about the size of a matchbox being assembled underneath the
outside window, underneath (or possibly starting to become inside) the
window sill.

I could pay 40 quid-odd for someone to come and kill them but I would
prefer to use a cheaper/humane method i.e. can I scrape this fledgling
wasp's nest into a bag and take it waway, or can I do something to make
them leave short of trying to smoke them/burn them oout (don't want to
damage the woodwork of course)?

The sound inside the house is quite loud so I am afraid they might eat
their way underneath the sill and end up forming an internal nest around
the aluminium double glazing unit, inside the profile or soem such void..

Sounds to me like the queen has already found a way under your sill into
the cavity where she has built her nest. *The suggestions about borax-
based ant killer will work, but it's true that the nest will be abandoned
as soon as the frosts start.

I have no proof of this, but looking at the construction of wasp nest I
suspect it is a very good insulator so long as it is dry.

R.- Hide quoted text -

they burn well when dry