Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Faucet Cutoff Valve Hard to Turn

On Jun 10, 3:19*am, mcp6453 wrote:
The faucet cutoff valves on a bathroom sink are extremely hard to turn. I mean
HARD. I almost couldn't get the hot water to turn off, and I could not get the
cold off because the handle is so close to the drain pipe.

http://img2.timeinc.net/toh/i/a/plum...-valves-04.jpg

I'm going to have to turn off the water supply to the house and remove these
completely to find out why they are so stiff. I'm assuming they have mineral
build ups that need to be cleaned, or the valves need to be replaced. They could
certainly be part of the problem I am having with slow flow (in a prior thread).

I'm curious. Why are these valves used instead of ball valves? Cost? Ball valves
are a lot easier to operate since the water is either all the way on or *all the
way off.

Maybe I'll get one of these, or something like it. Any recommendations for a
tool? I saw one with a long handle at one of the big box stores, but now I can't
find it again.

http://www.gordonwrench.com/tool.htm

Short answer:
Forget any special wrenches or rebuilding them.
Replace them with 1/4 turn ball valve angle stop.

cheers
Bob