Posted to alt.home.repair
NGDirect NGDirect is offline

Default Faucet Cutoff Valve Hard to Turn

"mcp6453" wrote in message
The faucet cutoff valves on a bathroom sink are extremely hard to turn. I
mean
HARD. I almost couldn't get the hot water to turn off, and I could not get
the
cold off because the handle is so close to the drain pipe.

http://img2.timeinc.net/toh/i/a/plum...-valves-04.jpg

I'm going to have to turn off the water supply to the house and remove
these
completely to find out why they are so stiff. I'm assuming they have
mineral
build ups that need to be cleaned, or the valves need to be replaced. They
could
certainly be part of the problem I am having with slow flow (in a prior
thread).

I'm curious. Why are these valves used instead of ball valves? Cost? Ball
valves
are a lot easier to operate since the water is either all the way on or
all the
way off.

Maybe I'll get one of these, or something like it. Any recommendations for
tool? I saw one with a long handle at one of the big box stores, but now I
can't
find it again.

http://www.gordonwrench.com/tool.htm

Reason they are used: Cheap. The original plumber was looking for
something to shut off the water for the period the main water was on before
the sink faucet was installed. Almost intended for single use, never
expected to still be in useable shape years later when they might be needed
for a future maintenance project.

Replace them with some decent ball valve for a few bucks each and they will
last as long as the main faucet.