Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default SWA cables into "consumer" unit

On 07/06/10 21:15, tony sayer wrote:

We have a new Sentry metalcald CU in a small remote building that just
supplies some CCTV and lighting equipment, on Two MCB's one at 6 amps
the other at 16 supplied by SWA cables. This is replacing an almighty
mess thats been there years and is downright dangerous.

The unit in question which is metal has some holes in the bottom which
are the same size as SWA glands. I presume its OK to use these to
terminate the SWA in directly as it were, taking the Earth banjo
directly to the Earth buss bar in the unit and the live and neutral
directly to the respective points.

Or as someone suggested earlier you have to take them via something like
a metal clad type connector box, with a small connector piece of conduit
as they mustn't be directly connected to the unit?. I think he's got
that confused with a plastic unit which I suppose you could do this with
but as the CU is metal then I can't see any real problem.

Anyone care to comment?..

No problem with SWA into a metal CU provided there's room to get the
stuff in without straining things.

You can take them into plastic if you use a pirhana nut to bolt the
earth onto - the problem with plastic is it is soft and compressible, so
using a banjo with it is a bad idea.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.