Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Magna Booster - Do I need One??

On Mon, 31 May 2010 12:17:16 -0700 (PDT), swiggers wrote:

My mum has had a recommendation from a British Gas engineer to fit a
Magna Booster to her central heating - which apparently removes lime
scale from your central heating system and 'stops it from blocking
up'.

Utter bull****. With a conventional boiler and indeed with a
condensing one the central heating water just circulates. The system
should have inhibitor(*) in this water to prevent corrosion. Even in
a very hard water area the amount of lime bought in for filling the
system is not remotely anywhere near being problem.

The only problem is if fresh water has to be introduced regulary to
counter leaks but even then the problem will be mainly from the
oxgyen in the fresh water leading to increased corrosion not any
lime.

The charge for this is £250 parts and labour. She lives in SW London -
the water is quite hard.

Tell 'em to go take a running jump.

(*) But as this system is under a BG "service" contract I wouldn't
like to be on that.

--
Cheers
Dave.