Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 440 volt three phase question

" I've had the moment to work on 440 volt roof top heating and AC.

Once in a while, need some power to run a 120 volt device. Is it 120
volts from one leg to ground?

(Yeah, I could just check it. But I was on the roof yesterday, and not
sure how long until I get to another roof.)

How old is this roof top unit... Seriously 440 volts ? Are you sure
that it isn't 480 volts ?

Right; we should all tighten up our terminology, nominal voltage-wise.

It's 120, 240 and 480. *Not* 110, 220 and 440. (Not to mention all those
weird older numbers that were used, like 117 volts: WTF did that come
from???)

*I have found that the actual voltage varies by power company. One
company in NJ supplies 460/265 volts while another supplies 480/277. It
is quite possible that Stormin is dealing with 440 volts.

Don't doubt you at all; however, the *nominal* voltages are still
120/240/480. What you're describing are basically under-voltage
situations.

*LOL What about 208?