Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Existential Angst Existential Angst is offline

Default Balancing a fan

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
I got so much help on my sprayer, I'm trying again...

Full time investigation and part replacement has me working on this theory
of the problem cause: The squirrel cage fan is out of balance. It is
barely detectable because the fan has a 2" solid steel shaft and some
serious pillow block bearings mounted solid to a beefy frame. At the
resonate RPM, this imbalance feeds on the slack in the drive line. Any
system upset causes the fan to become unstable and it lurches back and
forth.

I've called around and not found a place to dynamic balance something like
this. Are there any home brew methods? Or other suggestions? Its built so
solid I don't think I'm looking for a minor imbalance.

Fluke makes (made) a hand-held analyzer for dynamic balancing. Proly not
super cheap, but fast, quick, accurate. And proly not as expensive as it
once was. Saw it used, never used it mysef. Field HVAC techs use this.

Might want to ask the assholes on alt.hvac what their experiences are.
And if they have any experience, it's good news, cuz if those assholes can
use one, anyone can.

I googled fluke dynamic balancing, didn't get much, but didn't look long,
either.

Heh, mebbe an auto place, that does dynamic wheel balancing?
--
EA

Karl