Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default copying wooden mouldings

NT wrote:
On May 13, 12:21 pm, andyv wrote:
I know a lot of this has been discussed before but I can't quite sort
out what I need. I have an old Victorian property which has been badly
messed about with lots of non original skirting boards, architraves
and window surrounds. There are however plenty of original bits I can
copy.

I've considered getting a router or maybe a spindle moulder, but don't
know much about these. I've presumed that a router is a small hand
held version of a spindle moulder, though you can get benches to
attach your router to to get greater precision.

How though do you go about getting the shape you need right.
Presumably cutter profiles from Victorian times are not still
available. The fluting on some of my mouldings is quite complex. Do
you need to make several passes with different cutters, and try and
make it match the old shape?

I saw in one thread about making your own cutters. How is this done?
Is it a DIY proposition?

Wot they said. The only thing to add is that some old mouldings can be
made by simply gluing 2 or 3 modern simple mouldings together.

NT

Or, assuming it's going to be painted, mdf for the bulk, and
off-the-shelf mouldings for the fancy bits. A saw bench might be useful.