Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
DougVL DougVL is offline

Default Oliver 159a

I have an Oliver too, with the same size thread. It came with a couple of
faceplates, but nothing else.

I've considered rethreading, but it's a pretty serious change. I do already
have several chucks and other things to fit 1x8 thread, from a Rockwell I
used to have. I've looked for adapters, but haven't found anything.

I've looked into an adapter that would fit into the headstock taper and be
held in with a drawbolt, like a collet in a milling machine. Finding a
Morse taper arbor with a one inch blank end would be handy. I have a 1x8
threading die already.

I bought a couple of 1.125x 8 thread nuts from MSC a while ago for using in
making some kind of adapter. But they fit the spindle threads rather
loosely. I had also considered buying a 1.125x 8 thread tap and attempting
to re-thread my 1x8 accessories or make adapters. But since the nuts fit so
loosely, I've been hesitant to spend the money for the special tap. (Low
income, newly retired, no luxuries in the budget.)

Two of the major (expensive!) brands of chucks are available in Oliver
thread, but they're too expensive for me. It would cost almost as much as I
paid for the lathe (20 years ago)! And I already have a decent grizzly
one - but in 1x8 thread.

Sorry, no solution or definite answer for you, but hopefully an idea that
would help.

Doug

"Bill Noble" wrote in message
please visit my web site, click on faceplates, and choose what you want
starting at $8 each
www.wbnoble.com

"ZORRO9" wrote in message
I have an Oliver 159a with 1.125x 8 threads and this is an uncommon
size ,as all of my tools are around 1x8.
I would like to ask whether the spindle should be taken down 1x8 or
get an adapter to 1x8.
Thanks