Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure washer oil leak?

On the side of the motor is the crank case breather.
Typically rectangular, and holds on with two bolts (probably
need 5/16 nut setter to get the small bolts out). The
breather sometimes has a tube that goes to the carb.

What happens, is that when the piston goes down, it creates
a tiny bit of pressure in the crankcase. So, they put a
breather (one way valve) on. So air can go out, but not in.
The crankcase runs at a very slight negative pressure.

These sometimes get clogged, and then the pressure from the
piston forces oil out. When you take the crankcase breather
off, it will expose the valve springs and ends of the valve
rods. These can sometimes be cleaned by soaking in kerosene,
or similar solvent.

There is a crankcase gasket which can be leaking. I've never
paid to have one replaced. Is it enough oil to mess up the
customer's driveway, or some other problem?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"james" wrote in message
I have a 5HP sears pressure washer with briggs and stratton
engine that is
leaking oil. This engine has no oil filter or oil drain
plug. To change oil
I tilt it on its side to drain the oil out and put new oil
back in that
filer hole, so it's not like there's a loose plug or filter.
Furthermore I can't really tell where the oil is leaking
from. There is oil
all around the engine and it leaks very slowly -- a few
drops per day.

I wonder if this is a blown head gasket. If it is, how hard
it is to repair
it myself, or how much would it cost to have it repaired?

I see several options:
-try to replace the gasket
-put new and thick oil in before each use (twice each year).
Previously I
use synthetic 10w40 left over from car oil change.
-buy a new washer

Any advice?